Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Big Bad Wolf - The Kid's Side of the Story

A few days ago, I posted on Facebook my frustrations with my step-kids that most often view me as the Big Bad Wolf rather than a mom. They seem not to appreciate me and are at times very rude and disrespectful.

But overall, I feel like my SSs and I have a good relationship and our blended family seems to mesh well most of the time. So why do they act like rotten, spoiled pains at times?

Well, let's be fair.....

My husband works crazy work hours and sometimes works a 2nd or 3rd job. He leaves often before sun-rise and it's not unusual for him to arrive home just before bedtime or well after. The boys' mother lives out of state therefore they only visit several times a year. She stays active by phone, but that's just not the same as being involved in everyday issues.

So, who gets to deal with the problems? Who breaks up family tension? Who deals with the attitude when someone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed? Who gets a call from the principal or teacher about grades or behavior issues? Who's job is it to enforce punishment? Who does the grounding? Who says "no, you can't go play because you didn't do your chores"? Who says "Please stop", "Settle down", "Don't hit your brother", "STOP running in the house", "I don't care how things are at your mom's this is MY house" 423,567 times before she blows her stack?

Me! That's who!!

No wonder these fellas look to me as the evil one in the family! While I do try to love them and show that love abundantly during everyday happening, the cloak of doom is usually on my shoulders. So, I have to remember not to take things so personal. Maybe it's time to try discipline with even more love. Because it really does stink to be the "mean one".

No comments:

Post a Comment